God’s Models Walk A Plank Not A Runway
Please click HERE to read 1 Thessalonians 1:1-10, especially note verse 7.
Let’s take a look below at the difference between
earthly fashion models and God heavenly character models
(#1 from earthly models contrasts with #1 from heavenly models, etc.):
(please click on the Bible chapter/verses below to read the actual Scriptural text)
1. Earn role/must audition/few are accepted
2. Based on external appearance
3. Based on earthly/cultural/worldly definition of beauty
4. Often simply born with beauty
5. Used by others until they extract all our external beauty
6. Work for a small window of time (only for the young)
7. Goal is to sell/help others buy products
8. Outer perfection is necessary
9. Rewarded with temporary/perishable gifts
10. LOOK AT ME!
11. Walk a runway (pretty easy)
1. Cannot earn role/no tryouts; only chosen by God Himself/ALL are invited!
John 1:12-13 (please notice the word “all” in this passage–Jesus accepts ANYONE who will receive Him as Savior!)
Matthew 11:28-30 (please notice the word “all” in this passage–Jesus accepts ANYONE who will receive Him as Savior!)
2. Based on internal character
1 Timothy 4:12 (be a model towards others through your integrity/inner character that is expressed through godly actions!)
Titus 2:1-8 (be a model towards others through your integrity/inner character that is expressed through godly actions!)
3. Based on heavenly/Biblical definition of holiness/righteousness
Galatians 5:22-23 (examples of GOD’s beauty–this is what matters to Him!)
4. None are born righteous; godly character develops over time under the Holy Spirit’s reconstruction/rehabilitation project within us (sanctification)
(Paul’s confidence is that God will complete the good work He began IN us; Paul’s prayer is that Christians would be inwardly filled with the fruit of righteous [acting like Jesus!])
5. Utilized by God as He fills us with Himself!
6. Accepted for all eternity! (God invites people of ALL ages!)
7. Goal is to invite/help others receive a forever friendship with God
8. God accepts us despite our inner ugliness
Deuteronomy 32:10-14 THE MESSAGE—
how does someone look who has spent a lot of time lost in a wilderness/desolate wasteland? (tired, dirty, sweaty, tattered clothes, no make-up, bruised, sunburned, raw, weak, emaciated, etc.) And that is how we look SPIRITUALLY to God…yet He still loves us, takes care of us, invites us into His family FOREVER!
9. Rewarded with imperishable/eternal gifts
(external appearance is a gift that WILL BE DESTROYED no matter how much we exercise, diet, get cosmetic surgery, etc.)
10. LOOK AT HIM!
Romans 15:6—glorify (focus on, point others to, emphasize) God with our thoughts and our words
1 Peter 2:12—glorify (magnify, highlight, shine the spotlight on) God with our actions
11. Walk a plank (very difficult—suffering)
(for more thoughts on suffering for Jesus, please click HERE)
So which would you rather be? An earthly model…or a heavenly one?
It is hard for me as a Christian to always feel happy. all though I should, I have eternal life with God, I struggle to feel positive when I am so beat down with all of my troubles. I try to turn them all over to God . Pray, a lot of praying