Combating The World’s Lies With The Bible’s Truth
What’s your best defense against the lies of the world?
The same as Jesus’ defense against the lies of the devil:
An accurate understanding of the Bible (Luke 4:1-13).
Below are some of the lies of the world and the Truth of the Bible regarding those lies;
May you use the Bible as your flashlight to chase away the darkness of this world.
(please click on the Bible chapter/verses below to read the actual Scriptural text)
1. You are physically ugly/unattractive.
2. You won’t be happy unless you can become physically beautiful/attractive (according to the world’s definition of beauty).
Jesus was NOT physically beautiful/attractive (according to the world’s definition of beauty)
Earthly/outward beauty is fleeting/temporary (Proverbs 31:30).
3. You need lots of money and stuff to be happy.
B. The wisest person ever–Solomon–asked God to give him just enough money so he could eat and wouldn’t steal but not too much money so he wouldn’t forget about his need for God (Proverbs 30:8-9).
C. Real/true life–joy and happiness!–does not come from having many possessions (Luke 12:15).
D. It is better to give than to get (Acts 20:35).
4. Being young is better than being old.
4. Gray hair is a blessing from God (Proverbs 16:31);
The wisdom that can come with aging is better than the childishness that often comes with youth (1 Corinthians 13:11);
5. It’s just a “little” sin; it’s not a big deal; you’ve earned a little “fun” for all the good deeds you’ve done.
Would you put just a little drop of poison in your glass of water?
A little bit of bad causes large amounts of badness.
Saying “you’ve earned a little sin” after much faithful obedience is like saying
“you’ve earned a little thrill of jumping off a skyscraper because you’ve climbed the stairs to the top”;–you’ll eventually hit the bottom!
6. No one notices you; you are anonymous, alone, passed over, unimportant, unusable.
6. God knows EXACTLY how many hairs are on your head; He sees ALL that happens to sparrows, and you are worth more to Him than MANY sparrows (Luke 12:7);
God knows your name! (Isaiah 43:1);
God has engraved/tattooed your name on His hands–God ALWAYS sees your pain and suffering (Isaiah 49:16);
God has created good works ESPECIALLY FOR YOU to do (like a coach who makes a play for a specific player on the team)! (Ephesians 2:10);
7. You have no future (either because of your past sins/mistakes or because of your present lack of ability).
7. God has GREAT plans for YOU–good plans to give you HOPE and a FUTURE! (Jeremiah 29:11-14);
Jesus accepts ANYONE into His family no matter WHAT terrible things they have done! (please click HERE);
8. The pain/misery/suffering you feel right now will always be there, will always be this intense; you will never be free from it.
8. Part of Jesus’ earthly mission/purpose was/is to heal us and set us free:
“to proclaim good news to the poor.
[God the Father] has sent Me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners” (Isaiah 61:1).
These verses have both a spiritual and a physical/emotional application!
Furthermore, Jesus invites ANYONE who is weary and burdened and overwhelmed to come to Him for rest, gentleness, and a lightening of our load (Matthew 11:28-30)–how beautifully this applies when we are in misery/pain/suffering of ALL kinds!
Finally, in the eternal/heavenly sense, if we place our faith in Him and receive Him as our Forgiver and King, Jesus promises to eventually wipe away every tear from our eyes–to end our pain FOREVER!!!
3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away” (Revelation 21:3-5).
5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
So what are some other lies you’ve been believing…
…and what Biblical Truth can you shine on them?