Connecting American Idioms (Sayings) With The Bible…
1. You rest your case? Jesus wants you to give Him EVERYTHING so you can have a real rest with Him. (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT)
2. Jesus will do more than “raise your eyebrows”—He wants to raise your very life from the grave of death! (2 Corinthians 4:13-15 The Message)
3. In accepting us as we are, Jesus has more than promised us the moon; let’s not “moon the Promise” by rejecting Him (Luke 10:16 NLT)
4. Jesus didn’t just give us “a piece of His mind”; He gave us all of Himself. Doesn’t He deserve the same from us? (Isaiah 53 The Message)
5. Jesus wants us all to be “off doodie”—saying no to sin and yes to Him! (John 8:10-11 NIV1984)
6. With Jesus, there’s always much “more than meets the eye!” (John 1:10-13 NLT)
7. God is nowhere; God is now here. Your decision depends on your perspective. (1 John 1:1-4 The Message)
8. Jesus is the train, the tracks, the ticket, and the conductor; say “yes” to Him and He will carry you aboard and bring you Home with Him forever! (Revelation 3:20-21 The Message)
9. Jesus didn’t “meet us halfway”; He went ALL THE WAY to offer us forgiveness/eternal life w/Him. (Philippians 2:5-11 NLT)
10. How do I know God isn’t fake? Because He doesn’t “make believe”—He gives all of us a choice. What’s yours? (Luke 9:18-20 NLT)
12. God the Father truly “made ends meet” by providing His Son Jesus as the bridge connecting Him with us sinful humans. Christ is sturdy and can bear the weight of any baggage you carry. Lean into Him today. http://www.gracefellowshipstanford.com/pages/steps5.gif
13. Jesus died for you. Now make a “short story long” by saying yes to Him, following Him each day for the rest of your life! (Colossians 2:6 The Message)
14. Feel like God’s abandoned you lately? He left Noah and his family “high and dry” on the ark, and they were thankful! (Genesis 7:17-24 NIV1984)
15. Jesus is “in the same boat” with all of us: inviting us all to rest in Him during our storms and fears while He leads us to the other side! (Matthew 8:23-27 NIV1984)
16. Got the blues? Focus on the rainbow and get the other colors as well: God ALWAYS fulfills His promises! (Genesis 9:12-16 NLT)
17. Got your “foot in the door” to faith in Jesus? Make sure the rest of you follows quickly! Don’t wait! “Now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation/forgiveness!” (2 Corinthians 6:1-2 NLT)
18. Got cold feet following Jesus? Warm ‘em up in the fire of His love/grace/forgiveness! (Isaiah 6:1-8 NLT) He’s sending us…Let’s go! 🙂
19. Unsure where to turn at your fork in the road of seeking God? Jesus provides a Road thru the fork: “I am the way & the truth & the life. No one comes to the Father except thru Me” (Jesus) (John 14:6 NIV1984)
20. The Bible contains not just food for thought but also food for ACTION! “Don’t merely listen to the Word & so deceive yourselves. Do what it says” (James 1:22 NIV1984).
21. Fishing for compliments? God’s pond is well-stocked! The word “encourage” appears 58 times in the NIV translation of the Bible!
22. Jesus wants to be our “foul-weather friend”—share your pain/fears with Him through your words, thoughts, and solitude! (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT)
23. Too cool for Jesus? Think He will cramp your style? Dont “style your cramp”—let’s not manage our sin but get rid of it! (Hebrews 12:1 NIV1984) Help us to experience Your freedom, Jesus!
24. Love your stuff on earth? Someday we will go to be forever with the treasures of our hearts (Luke 12:29-34 NIV1984). Lord Jesus, help us to make You the true treasure of our hearts!
25. Everyone comes away from earth empty handed—ever seen a hearse towing a U-Haul trailer? (Job 1:20-22 NIV 1984)
26. Holy Spirit, you’ve caught my eye and my heart. Please help me not to “eye someone’s catch” by getting jealous/bitter over Your gifts to them. Help me to focus on You and Your blessings to me! (Exodus 20:17 The Message)
27. Jesus calls His followers to “feed the hand that bites us”—being kind to those who mistreat us. He will help us if we ask Him! (Luke 6:27-36 NIV1984)
28. Feel like a “little fish in a big sea?” All who surrender to Jesus get a big sea in a little fish! “Rivers of living water will flow from their hearts” (John 7:37-39 NLT)
29. We are all important to/loved by God, the “apples of His eye!” Let’s be careful not to take a bite out of His apples—let’s watch how we treat all people today through our words, actions, and glances, whether friend or stranger! (1 Thessalonians 5:10-11 NLT)
30. Let’s add FIRE to the FUEL—God has given us EVERYTHING we need to carry out His radical/counter-cultural purposes…what are we waiting for? (2 Peter 1:3 NLT)
31. Absence makes the heart to wander—let’s fight to consistently spend time with our spouse week in and week out…(Ephesians 5:25-33 The Message)
32. Don’t “suit yourself”—Jesus is offering you pure white linen to replace your tattered rags! (Revelation 19:6-9 NIV1984)
33. Do you see the writing on the wall? The glorious graffiti of God’s grace is all around us! (Hebrews 1:1-4 NLT)
34. Sin always “takes its toll” on us—it costs us everything we have, even our very souls! (Matthew 16:25-27 NLT) But Jesus’ offers us the free gift of eternal life with Him! (Revelation 22:17 NIV1984)
35. How do I know Jesus loves some forms of hip-hop? ‘Cause He “took the rap” for the sins of all those who trust in Him! (Isaiah 53:4-6 The Message)
37. Jesus endured the vicious cross to free us from the vicious circle of sin and death! (Hebrews 12:1-3 NLT) http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews+12:1-3&version=NLT
38. Feel “washed up”, unable to contribute/do anything right? All who have allowed Jesus to wash them up with His love/forgiveness will do greater miracles than He did! (John 14:11-13 The Message)
39. Don’t take a “wait and see” attitude with Jesus; take a “see and wait” stance! Trust in Him today and wait for Him to deliver on all of His great promises! (Hebrews 9:28 NLT)
40. Your guess is as good as mine? God has given us the Bible so we can be CERTAIN of the Truth of Who He is and why we need Him! (Luke 1:1-4 NLT)
41. Today, let’s be VICTORS, not VICTIMS! “We are…conquerors through Him Who loves us!” (Romans 8:35-39 NIV1984)
42. Would you give the shirt off your back? Jesus gave the back off His shirt: by His wounds we are healed (Isaiah 53).